3 buildings

History
 
Did you know in 1851 Mays Chapel United Methodist Church was once referred to as “Mayes Methodist Episcopal Society?” The original chapel, with a footprint of 20’ by 40’ was constructed of hand-chiseled stones and the cross-beams were hand hewn. The diminutive structure still sits near the grove where the late Reverend John Cornelius presided over the first service on Sunday, May 28, 1854 at “10 ½ o’clock and 2 ½ o’clock.” Founding trustees and their families dating back to 1862 were interred in the cemetery which surround the 1854 Chapel. Interestingly, successful revival meetings were held at Mayes Methodist Episcopal Chapel in 1857-58.

1854 Building

 
The Civil War changed the organization of the North Baltimore Circuit of churches served by one minister. A new circuit was later created which included Hunts, Mays and Kelly’s School House on Chestnut Ridge. It was referred to as the Brooklandville Circuit and later the Hunts Circuit. Traditional Sunday services with classic hymns are now held at the Stone Chapel on the one and one-half acre parcel of land at the intersection of Jenifer and Mays Chapel Road. The cornerstone that Dr. C. Herbert Richard P.E. and former Pastor J Hammersley laid gave rise to a building with foot thick stonewalls, a recessed bell tower, arched windows and shingled gables.
 
In 1976, due to dwindling attendance, services were discontinued. When Mays Chapel Village and other growth in the area occurred, the building which was originally built in 1902, was renovated and cleaned up. Reopening of the “Stone Chapel” came twelve years later in 1988 when Reverend Rick Jenks and his wife Sandy were chosen to lead the congregation. When the Consecration Service was held on October 1, 1989, there was standing room only.

Stone Chapel

 
A second renovation occurred in 2001 when the original brown paint was changed on the exterior wainscot

Worship Center

and the interior was painted with harmonious colors of cream and burgundy. On March 8, 1992 the groundbreaking of a multipurpose structure housing administrative offices, education and the worship center occurred. It was consecrated “for the worship of God and the service of all people.” The building was named “Mays Chapel United Methodist Church” when consecrated by Bishop Joseph A. Yeakel.
 
Reverend Rick Jenks served as pastor until 1995. He was followed by interim pastor Reverend Henry Schwartzmann  (1997-1999), then by Reverend Mark Smiley (1999- 2004), then succeeded by Reverend Doug Hays. Currently, Reverend Laurie Pierce Tingley serves the congregation in her role as pastor.
 
Contemporary weekly worship services, Sunday School, missions groups and other church-related activities for all ages operate out of “The Worship Center.” Visitors and members come from a diversity of backgrounds and the church strives to offer a hospitable environment by offering both traditional services as well as a more modern day approach through the contemporary service and music.